Thursday, November 02, 2006

Canvas for Light -- Pin-up Exp.1





Professor, Nancy Lin, is this exercise's instructor. I am very excited because she is an excellent teacher and will give exact criticism at student's works.

The purpose of this exercise is to understand the light through the process of making. So, at this first pin-up, we had to give out five cardboards models as our canvas. Allow only "cut" and "fold" as the operational tools to create artifacts that can intensify the effects of light and shadow.

I made ten models and marked as 1~10.
First, I only used vertical and horizontal cut to make up my 1th model. I found that cut one folded plane and pulled two sides of this cut one to different direction then I could get a postive and negative space. So, I made 2nd & 3rd models to make this postive and negative space.

Then, I changed my basic composing element from rectangle to triangle because I felt that the form of triangle seemed has more angles in 3D. I made 5th & 6th model and used triangle to form spaces whose opening conntected to another one.

Final, I used patterns to try to make the space. The 7th model had triangle array. The 8th model had rectangle array.

In fact, during the class, I did not say something about my models, just told Nacy about the number of the model. It was very interesting that Nancy found what I did. She liked my two models: No.3 & No.7. And she gave many suggestions for further improvement.

For this No.3, there are 7 items:


  1. ratio.
  2. groups
  3. the size of opening
  4. remove plane
  5. remove uncertainty
  6. simply
  7. avoid soft structure



For this No.7, there are 3 items:

  1. no continuing plane
  2. dont waste any plane on lying on the ground

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home